Why It’s Important to Make Your Food Look Pretty

by healthyhitsthespot on January 6, 2014 · 8 comments

The importance of Food Styling

Yesterday at breakfast my Aunt asked me: “Paige, so why is important for your food look pretty?”

20140105-133944

I was so excited when she asked me this, because styling my food more is one thing that helped me improve my relationship to food.

It helped me:

-connect with my food
-appreciate what I was putting into my body
-eat more colorful foods
-slow down
-notice my food before I ate it

You have five senses: sight, sound, taste, smell, and touch.

Do you think when you eat you only need to satisfy the taste factor?

Not me. I want to satisfy all 5 tastes.

Why do you think expensive restaurants focus so much on presentation? Would you enjoy your experience if they just threw a blob of food on a paper plate and handed you a plastic fork and a paper towel?

Making my food look appealing helps me to be able to stop when I am full, feel satisfied, and appreciate (and think about) what I am putting into my body.

20140105-134055

Sorry (I’m not sorry) for the plate of unfinished food, but I wanted to share that I’m able to stop when I’m full. This is HUGE for me. A few years back, I would never be able to do this. I’d have to “ruin” my food with table salt in order to stop. Crazy thought, right? When you really satisfy yourself and you enjoy a mouthful of flavor, it’s hard to keep eating when you’re full.

{I’ll post more on this later with a diagram attached}

If you need inspiration, pick up some food magazines. Have FUN with your food. Take pictures if it helps you!

20140105-134358

Do you style your food at all?

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Tim Vroom January 6, 2014 at 9:24 am

i never style my food. i guess some people are into it and some aren’t. Like on the Food Network Giada and her aunt Raffy, they always argue about it

healthyhitsthespot January 8, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Ha, I’ve never seen them argue over that. I’d love to watch that. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Simi @ theMicroHarvest.com January 7, 2014 at 5:29 am

I definitely try to make eating an experience. I don’t know that I necessarily style my food, but definitely try to sit down with real plates and silverware, take deep breaths, and slowly savor!

healthyhitsthespot January 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Ah, I love this Simi. I think sitting down is probably the MOST important thing! The only times I feel mindless are when I stand and eat or drive and eat. Basically, when I feel distracted while I’m eating.

Chloe Baker January 7, 2014 at 5:30 am

Those are some pretty valid points. I’ve always been a quick eater and all my friends wonder if I even taste my food before I gobble it down! I guess I need to start putting some effort into styling my food! =)

healthyhitsthespot January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm

It’s worth a try!

Karen January 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I do this too! I find I really do enjoy making eating an experience. I appreciate my food so much more this way.

healthyhitsthespot January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm